Friday, September 30, 2011

Other than running, or How I channel Sylvester Stallone



I don't like going to the gym very much.

{I absolutely hate the treadmill.  That's another post entirely.}

Cross-training is important to incorporate into our exercise to make us more well-rounded athletes, however.  It builds strength and endurance, works muscles potentially ignored by running alone, and gives our running muscles some well-deserved rest.

Personally I'd rather just run.

But, in the name of following the rules, I try to find ways to achieve my goals in other ways.  One of those is THE STEPS.

Near our home we have a dam area that includes these steps.  There are twelve sets of ten steps and I run them.  Hard.  I love them.  They make me feel like an Amazon woman charging through the jungle.  I haven't done them often, but I want to incorporate them more as I keep training for my half marathon.  

Once home, I usually do a good set of ab exercises, exercises for my hips suggested by my physical therapist, and lunges and squats to work my quads.  I'm always on the lookout for some good, simple exercises to add to my routine and change it up a bit if I get bored.  I know I need to keep strength training to protect my knees, work my core, and develop my leg muscles to avoid injury.  

I'm a work in progress.  And I love it!



Here are some other suggestions for cross-training:

Have a fabulous weekend!



1 comment:

  1. I can just hear "Eye of the Tiger" playing as you make your way to the top! :)

    Thanks for the suggestions. I've been sensing the need for maybe a little extra for those non-running muscles.

    ReplyDelete