Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What do you eat?


I never really did much research before I started running.  I just left the house and ran.  Granted, I didn't run far but, still, it felt very Forrest Gump-ish.

But when I began running longer distances, I checked out some magazines and websites to get advice and suggestions on pre- and post-run meals.  I still didn't follow them so much, though, and have since decided that what works for me, works for me.  I may have to adjust as I increase my distance and continue my training toward my half-marathon in February, but for now if my tummy's happy, I'm happy.

Before my runs, which are almost exclusively in the early mornings, I have at most a banana and a glass of water or soymilk.  Sometimes I just have a small glass each of soymilk and orange juice.  I figure a bit of protein and sugar must be good, right?

When I return from my runs, my favorite smoothie (pictured above from its best side) is this one:

1-1.5 large bananas
1/2 c. organic vanilla yogurt
1 heaping T. organic creamy peanut butter
1/2 dark chocolate almond milk


It is so yummy!  I really don't measure all of those things, I just toss them in, but that's my best guess.  And sometimes I have a bit leftover, which my four year old is always happy to finish.

This smoothie fills me up, but is not heavy, and the chocolate is...well...chocolate-y.

Just like I like it.

Don't mess with the chocolate, y'all


So?  What do you eat pre- and post- run?

1 comment: