Sunday, September 18, 2011

My Second 5K



So I did it!

Friday evening was the Dayton Air Force Marathon 5K, the tag-along little sister to the big events on Saturday.  I was able to run, despite my injury of the past 6 weeks, and a wonderful friend met me there and joined me.  She had asked me to sign up with her months ago, and I was glad to oblige, but as I healed up from my leg injury I wondered whether I would be able to run it.

Last Monday, I ran 3 miles for the first time since the first week of August.  I didn't run through the rest of the week so I could sleep in be fresh on Friday, and was very glad I did!  My friend and I met at the expo a few hours early and were able to attend a presentation on form and running shoes (with a serious bent toward barefoot running...something interesting I know little about), as well as spend a little money. I bought a couple of Bondibands and a RUN magnet for my car (to accompany my "Caution: Unsocialized Homeschooler on Board" magnet...)

Then the race...


There were 1800 people running this race, and 13,000 when you included the Saturday events.  Since my first 5K had 300 people, this was a slightly different experience!  I didn't cross the start line for a good 35 seconds after the starting gun, and I was probably 1/3 of the way from the Start banner.  Before we started (and during the race, too) there was a fighter jet fly-over.  It was awesome.

The race took me 29:09, not quite as fast as my first 5K, but I was really happy with my time.  My friend came in one second before me.  It was wonderful to finish with her.  The course itself was very well-laid out.  I didn't know the course beforehand, so I was surprised by a half-mile hill about a mile into the race.  But the little encouraging signs ("The worst is behind you!"  "You can do it!") placed along the way were a great touch!

I feel so blessed to be back to running, even though the race made my leg ache a little bit come the weekend.  What a wonderful and inspiring community of people!


Yay me, with my little medal!

So what are you signed up for?

2 comments:

  1. Great job on your run!
    I know I told you the other day that the 5k I am aiming for is Thanksgiving Day. But, I just found out about a fundraiser run for our theater group (that my daughter is very involved in) that's in October. I might try for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! An even earlier goal to work toward! Let me know if you decide to do it!

    ReplyDelete