Friday, September 16, 2011

Inspiration for the weekend


Morning is my favorite time to run.  
I love to be up early and run when the sun is just coming up, 
it's crisp and cool, and it seems to be just me and my Maker.
We have had some of the most amazing sunsets and sunrises lately
and I have been inspired in many ways, not just in my running.

Tonight I have my second ever 5K.  I thought, at the height of my leg pain, 
that I wouldn't be able to run it, and in my more negative moments, 
that I'd never be able to run again. 
(I border on the dramatic)
But here I am, getting ready to head to 
Dayton for the Air Force Base Marathon event.  
I'm running with a friend this time, and hoping to take it easy. 
My time on my first 5K surprised me (25:56) as I had never run faster
than a 9:20 mile, and even that was hard.  The adrenaline really does 
kick you into high gear!  I felt awful immediately after the race,
and like a million bucks within a half hour.  

It was the first time I really felt like a runner.

Since then I've felt like a runner when my knee acted up, when I noticed my second
toenails were black and blue, and when I caught myself thinking that maybe, perhaps,
someday, if the planets were in alignment, I could think about training for a marathon.

Crazy!

"Why is it important to see yourself as a runner?
When you believe you are a runner, you naturally assume
the responsibility of fulfilling that role. You'll
be more motivated to run and thus more consistent in running.
You'll be eager to take on the challenges necessary for
improvement, such as increasing your mileage, picking up
you pace every now and then, or running with friends
who are a little faster than you...Within running is a self-fulfilling 
progression: when you feel confident, you train a little harder,
you become a better runner, you become more confident."
The Complete Book of Running for Women


Keep running!



Check out these places for inspiration this week!



Stability Ball exercises (I have one of these and use it for some exercises after my runs)

Love this by Heather: In Real Life


No comments:

Post a Comment